Tuesday

Word of the Day: Proscribe

Proscribe:

1. to denounce or condemn (a thing) as dangerous or harmful; prohibit.

2. to put outside the protection of the law; outlaw; banish or exile.


This was a word that I have often thought of incorrectly. I say thought because I was uncertain of the definition so I do not recall actually using it but would not really be surprised if I was guilty. For some reason, perhaps because 'scribe' means 'to write' or 'author', I thought proscribe meant 'to set a defined boundary'. As in 'I feel so trapped by these box you have proscribed for me'. Try as might though the word means nothing remotely close to my definition thereof. Alas, I stand corrected.

1 comment:

  1. interesting. You're right. i would have associated it with "prescribe". But then again, I was the one who spent the last three years thinking the Detroit Pistons basketball team is Detroit Pistols.... Don't judge, English was my second language!

    ReplyDelete